Neck and Back Pain Relief in Scarsdale, NY
Treatments, Exercise Programs, Back and Neck Classes
Low back pain is one of the most common health problems of adults. It accounts for thousands of hours of lost work and a great deal of time lost with friends and family members. Neck pain is quite common and can be very painful. Many of us suffer from one or both of these ailments and believe that “it’s normal”. It is not normal, and it can be a sign of other issues that may require attention.
Back and neck pain may be a symptom of many different causes, including any of the following:
- Overuse, strenuous activity, or improper use such as repetitive or heavy lifting
- Trauma, injury, or fractures
- Muscle tension or spasm
- Degeneration of vertebrae, often caused by stresses on the muscles and ligaments that support the spine, or the effects of aging
- Abnormal growth such as a tumor or bone spur
- Obesity due to increased weight on the spine and pressure on the discs
- Sprain or strain
- Ligament or muscle tears
- Joint problems such as arthritis
- Protruding or herniated (slipped) disk and pinched nerve
- Congenital (present at birth) abnormalities of the vertebrae and bones
A back and neck pain rehabilitation program is designed to meet the needs of the individual patient, depending upon the type and severity of the pain, injury, or disease.
The goal of back and neck rehabilitation is to help return the individual to the highest level of function possible while improving quality of life. This is achieved by focusing on pain relief and mobility improvement.